Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Meet Luna!

Hope everyone had a fun, safe holiday weekend. Things were pretty crazy around here. Crazy like good crazy, and not the other kind of crazy. Crazy like we went to the animal sale in Delano, where usually all the really good stuff  is sold by 9:30 am, (oh, and it starts at 9!) and yet, somehow, when we got there at 10:15, there was the sweetest little saanen mix doeling, still waiting for a home (and at a really great price, to boot!). We walked around, looked at everything, talked about the astonishing fact that no one had bought her yet, and how we weren't ready to bring home a goat just now, bought a few other things, and then wandered back around to the corner to see that she still had not been sold. Unbelievable. And then.. and then! Davey (wonderful, wonderful man) looked at me and said... "Well, I guess that's your goat." People, I teared up a little. Not even kidding (haha). I practically ran down the aisle to grab the card from her cage (some other woman was eyeing my goat!) and back up to the table to pay for her before anything could go wrong. I have wanted a dairy goat for so long, and up until recently, I couldn't even get Davey to consider goats, much less actually buy one. We had other plans for our farm money for the year, and goats were further down on the list, after cattle and maybe a greenhouse. But we both thought that it was just meant to be. And, I mean, who could resist that sweet little face?!?
She's still very young, so it will be a while before I get into the milking aspect of having a dairy goat.
I'm also on the lookout for a second goat to keep her company. She's a herd animal, and she needs friends. We learned that lesson the hard way.
For now, though, I'm just enjoying spending time with our new girl. I'm not kidding people, she's like a dog that mows your grass for you. And doesn't try to hump your leg. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment