Sunday, April 29, 2012

dairy goat dreamin'

ok, so this may not be a dairy goat, and if I remember correctly, it's a billy, but this is the only goat picture I have. He's still a handsome fella.


We've got a lot of plans in the works here on the farm. A lot of plans. Some of them are a little more exciting than others. Right now the dream that's got me most in a tizzy is that of dairy goats. I don't really want a full-on herd of them. Just 2. Enough for us to have plenty of milk, make some cheese, and have some leftovers for things like soaps and whatnot. We've got the perfect little spot out back, a "barn" that could easily be converted into the perfect goat shed, and the fence posts in place for a generous goat paddock. I've finally convinced Davey that goat's milk and cheese are a good thing, and it won't make us crazy hippies that don't wear deodorant. Not at first anyway. (I've actually given a lot of thought to the evils of deodorant lately, more specifically, antiperspirant... the body sweats for a reason, no? Not such a good idea to stop that natural process.) Moving on.
I've spent the last several days on the hunt for the perfect pair of milkers (yeah, yeah... that's what he said), they have to be the right price, and local enough that we can transport them easily. I haven't found them yet, but that's ok. The dreaming's half the fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment