Monday, August 6, 2012

(MIY) teriyaki sauce

(Make it Yourself!)

It's my mama's birthday today, and in honor of that occasion, I'm hosting dinner at my house tonight: jerk chicken, per her request. Davey, myself, and my mama LOVE jerk chicken, in all it's spicy-hot glory. But my dad and gramps are more on the wussy side of the heat spectrum, and voted for something a little less intense. Dad requested teriyaki chicken. For years I used Soy Vey teriyaki sauce, mostly because it's Jewish teriyaki sauce, and how can you not love that?! and also because it had great quality ingredients and yummy flavor. Sadly, grocery stores out here don't carry it, so I decided that this week it was time to make my own. So, I did what I often do in these situations and just sort of guessed at what might make the sweet/savory teriyaki flavor I was looking for. And it couldn't be any easier. Here's the recipe:

Juice of 1 can pineapple (can be rings, chunks, crushed, whatever. In my case, it was chunks)
5-6 chunks pineapple
1/4 cup tropical juice blend, or orange juice. Whatever makes your skirt fly up. I happpened to have both, so I used 'em.
soy sauce to taste
1/2 tsp ginger
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar or honey
1/4 cup sesame oil
splash of rice salad vinegar

run the whole thing thru the blender til the pineapple and garlic are pretty much pulverized, and then add in 1 tsp sesame seeds. It makes the sauce look pretty. This is pretty much my dream sauce, and I'll have a hard time choosing between it and my favoritest favorite jerk chicken tonight. I'm guessing I'll solve this predicament by eating both. It's a cruel world, but I get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment